slideshow:

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY III + HIS STORY

PROF. YEMI OSIBAJO EXHORTING



PASTOR FAFOWORA PRAYING




MRS. BOLANTA (NEE OMOZOKPIA)
























HIS STORY:
"I AM LUCKY TO HAVE MARRIED MY WIFE" Chief (Dr.) J.E Adetoro
My name is Joseph Eyitayo Adetoro. I was born on December 16, 1933. I got married March 30, 1959. I did not consider myself too young to marry even though I was only a little above 25 years then. I had bagged my 1st degree in 1957.

In 1956 I came home to MOPA, (now in Kogi State) on holidays from the University College Ibadan where I was an undergraduate. Then I saw her in town. I asked from people who the beautiful lady was and they told me that she was a teacher in the Sudan Interior Mission Primary School where she taught Domestic Science. I was also told that she lived with the headmaster of the school.


For me it was a case of interest at first sight. She was new to me. I was quick to introduce myself to her as an undergraduate. She was rather cool to my advances. She had her bicycle, gramophone record and her sewing machine. These were the indices of success for a young lady then. Her attitude instead of discouraging me, made me more curious and fascinated with her. Her father was living in Ibadan then, so I came to visit her there but could not see her. She had left for Odo-Oba to visit her uncle. I went to see her there.

Fortunately the wife of her uncle was also my own aunt. I used the excuse of visiting my aunt to see her and asked her to make me tea. Unfortunately I made a mistake and put something different from sugar in the tea…
I later invited her to a dance organized by the Sigma Club of my university. I was a member of the club. She came. I graduated in 1957 and the next year, I traveled abroad for my post-graduate studies. It was when I came back that the relationship became more serious. In 1959 we got married.


I am lucky to have married my wife. On my family side, we are noted for being hot tempered and people said she would find it difficult to cope with us. My wife is quiet, too patient; she is forbearing and accommodating, never complains. She makes excuses for people and for that I used to call her “the defender of the masses.” Her attitude has really helped the marriage to stabilize and endure, more so because we had six girls before our boy came in 1974. She is so good that in all of fifty years I had only one occasion to complain to my father-in-law about his daughter.

My wife is the engine room of the family and for a long time now I have left everything to her. All what I do is supply. The father is the petrol but the mother is the engine of the vehicle of the family. But remember in my time, fathers were not supposed to hang around the house and in my case, all my children except one are girls. So there!

My father-in-law was a good Christian Catholic. I never had any occasion to complain about him. When I had my accident (in 1970) he sent his own wife to come and stay with my wife during the period. He was absolutely helpful to me. When I was abroad as a student in the early 60s, he sent about a third of his pension (more than a hundred pounds) to me and my wife. That was a huge amount of money and so sacrificially given. The gift actually shocked me. Baba was a good man.

When you are husband and wife, the longer you stay together, the more you understand each other better. You become more spiritually attuned to each other. Women may not be strong in logic but they have powerful intuitions.